Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Interview with Sonya Haskins (originally posted on December 1st, 2007)

As I promised yesterday, here is the author interview:

Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your family?
My husband and I have been married 13 years and we have 5 children: Sarah (11), Micah (10), Christopher (8), Daniel (6), and Hannah (4). These are our biological children. We did foster care for about 7 years and we love children. It would be terrific to have more, but I was very ill after I had Hannah and only had about a 30% chance of living. I was in the hospital for two months and in and out for a year. I still have complications even today from this. However, we hope that we'll be able to adopt one day.

Why did you write Homeschoolers Book of Lists?
I honestly wrote it because it was something I wanted to use and I thought it would be a terrific resource for other homeschoolers as well. It has turned out to be exceptionally handy!
What is your favorite list?
It depends on which day it is and which answer I need! : ) I will say that the chapter on foreign languages is my favorite chapter overall. I love foreign languages and I greatly enjoyed putting that chapter together. Well, I enjoyed putting the whole book together, but that's my favorite chapter.
I'm going to go a little off subject here~ If you could be an ice cream flavor what would you be and why?
I guess I would be rainbow because I think the colors are beautiful and it's always a blessing to bring more color into people's lives. As for taste, my personal favorite is simply chocolate.
If you could take your family to anywhere in the world, and money were no option, where would you go and why?
That's a great question. If money were no option, I would do ALL the time what we did this summer - travel. We spent six weeks traveling around the mid-west states and we visited Mt. Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, the Great Sand Dunes, Yellowstone National Park, and soooo many more terrific places. I met people everywhere and talked about God, creation, and the Biblical view of the world. I also talked about homeschooling and the book. It is my prayer that the Lord will continue to open doors for me to write books and I'll be able to travel more and more with the children. As they grow older, I would like to travel to other countries with them as well. So I would begin by going to all the states, then start traveling to different countries. Readers can visit my website to see pictures of our trip out west and read a blog of the whole six weeks. It's enjoyable reading!
Is there anything else you'd like to share with my readers?
I am available to speak at homeschool conventions and readers should visit my website at www.sonyahaskins.com if they would like to know more about the book, chronic pain, or homeschooling. Also, thank you so much for reviewing the book, Ashley!

No comments: